Welcome to Yoga Union
Read on for helpful information for new students.
Choosing a class:
View our class descriptions and our schedule. If you are looking to start up a posture-based yoga practice, or are a beginner-level practitioner, we recommend choosing from among our Gentle and Moderate classes to start.
First time going to yoga class, unsure of what to do, what to wear? Walking into a yoga class for the first time can feel intimidating, especially if you’re not sure what to expect.
Glance through these tips, and then enjoy the full yoga experience! You’ll be set to go like you’ve been yoga-ing for years
Arriving a good fifteen minutes before class starts is appropriate.
- Give yourself enough time to arrive at the studio, hang up your coat, take off your shoes and socks, and turn off your cell phone.
- Sign in and pay for class, which often involves a bit of paperwork if you’re new to the studio. (You can also visit yogaunionct.com/register ahead of time and register for classes or purchase passes online).
- Lay out your mat, gather props, and bring your breath to an even and steady pace.
- If you ARE LATE and class has begun simply slip in silently and take a place in the back.
- Phones, wristwatches, iPods, anything that dings, rings or buzzes—should be turned off.
- Please do not use heavy perfumes or lotions, as many people are highly sensitive to these smells.
- Wear comfortable stretchy clothing that allows you to move freely without worry of exposure of your delicate parts.
- Use a tissue under the eye pillow when in Savasana (deep restful pose at the end of class)
- Practice Ahimsa –(non-violence) in speech, actions, movement, thought and attitude. Respect all those who come to yoga for a safe, uplifting, truthful environment.
- At the close of class, the teacher will bow his/her head and say
“Namaste” to the class, your response can also be “Namaste” back to the teacher and other students. Namaste means the light in me honors the light in you.
Hopefully, your focus in class has little to do with etiquette and rules and much more to do with gaining a better understanding of both the practice and yourself. Most likely, you’ll feel a great sense of invigoration, peace, relaxation, and inspiration after class. Take what you learn off the mat and into the world.
Our location and parking:
We are located in the back of the Pro Health Physicians building at 30 Mill Street in Unionville. If you are looking at the building from Mill Street, our entrance is around the left side in the back. Bright red wall and orange door are there to greet you. You can park on either side of the building or in the lot behind the building that is shared with George’s Restaurant and The Olive Bar.